Sunday, November 1, 2009

My first post! The BEST Homemade Granola




I really like to eat this granola layered with vanilla yogurt and a sliced banana or blueberries as a parfait for breakfast.

Being allergic to tree nuts, I am uncomfortable buying any store-made granola or granola bars, and I LOVE GRANOLA! Soooo, I decided to try to make it myself...this recipe is an adaptation of Ina Garten's Homemade Granola Bars recipe from her Back to Basics cookbook. I've substituted shelled sunflower and pumpkin seeds for the almonds in her recipe, and I've substituted raisins and cranberries for the apricots and dates in her recipe. You can use any combination of dried fruits that you like. Dried currants go really well in this recipe, too. Enjoy!

2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup raw shelled sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raw shelled pumpkin seeds
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup wheat germ
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8x12 baking dish and line with parchment paper.

Toss oats, seeds, and coconut on a sheet pan and bake for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in wheat germ.

Reduce oven to 300 degrees.

Place butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for a minute, then pour over the toasted oats mixture. Add the dried fruits and stir well.

Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Wet your fingers and lightly press the mixture evenly into the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until light golden brown. Cool for at least 2-3 hours before cutting into squares. Serve at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds fabulous! I have never made homemade granola! YUM! I am so glad you created a blog! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete